Disney Comics on the Go
Disney may have purchased Marvel and all of its comic book properties in 2009, but superheroes aren’t the only characters appearing in Disney comics these days. Earlier this year, Disney Publishing Worldwide launched the Disney Comics app in the US for iPhone and iPad users with plans to expand the app to readers in more than 80 countries.
The app features a collection of comics, short stories, and graphic novels starring classic Mickey Mouse characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, etc.) as well as modern Disney characters (Rapunzel, Tiana, the casts of Cars 2 and Toy Story, etc). The comics range in length with most averaging between 20 and 50 pages.
In the DigiStore, the single issue comics are priced from $0.99 to $2.99, with most of the classic Mickey Mouse adventures priced at $0.99 and the comics based on newer properties (Tangled, Tron, Prince of Persia, etc.) priced at $2.99. Bundles of comics featuring multiple issues are generally priced in the $3.99 to $4.99 range. FREE comics are also available in the DigiFree section of the app. The free selection changes regularly, so be sure to check back regularly for new offerings.
A recent app update includes the brand new Kiosk which allows readers to search for comics by their favorite character, by genre (Mystery, Adventure, Sports, Parody, Fantasy, Comedy, Classics, Pixar), or by series (High School Musical, Ultraheroes, DoubleDuck, Wizards of Mickey, X-Mickey). Another new feature is SKINS which will allow readers to customize the look of the app based on their favorite Disney characters.
Many of the classic Mickey Mouse adventures are parodies of famous novels and films and include “A Christmas Carol”, “Donald Duck and the Three Musketeers”, “The Strange Case of Doctor Duckell and Mister Duckhyde”, “The Adventures of Mick Sawyer”, and “Mickey and Minnie in: Casablanca”. The classic adventures will likely appeal more to older readers as the references and complex storylines are likely to go over the heads of many younger readers.
Disney Comics launched with more than 50 available comics and more have been added since, but the classic adventures still far outnumber the new comics (Tangled, Toy Story, Tron, The Princess and the Frog, etc.) that may appeal more to young readers.
Almost half of the app customer reviewers have rated the app 1/5 stars with most negative reviews complaining that the app repeatedly crashes or fails to properly install the comics. Although the app is supposed to work on iOS 3.1 or later, I have been unable to get it to work on my iPhone 3 due to it repeatedly crashing. Unfortunately, the recent October 4th upgrade did not solve the problem. However, the app works beautifully on my iPad, and the iPad’s screen size is perfect for full-page color comics.
- Download more Disney Comics whenever and where ever you desire — Including FREE Disney comics from the DigiFree section.
- The Kiosk feature helps you discover more of your favorite comics and characters among all the titles in the Digistore.
- Use the PLAYLISTS to organize your stories.
- Check the recommendations based on your likes and see what else we have in store for you!
- Have fun using the new SKINS Feature to give a brand new look to your App! Collect them all!
- Enjoy awesome sound effects while you read.
- Disney Comics offers readers a “director-style” experience that displays each individual frame without losing the page’s overlying structure.
- Customize the auto play reading experience mode by setting the speed to your liking.
- Send your favorite Disney comics to your friends via email, or share them on Facebook.
- Contains Graphic Novels inspired by the Disney classics’ as well as brand new comics based on newer characters and stories.
- Choose between two reading styles: portrait view featuring a slideshow of the full pages; or landscape view with double spreads and tap-to-zoom capability (iPad only).